Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Themes & Keys




I have been reviewing the movement material collected so far and decided to have something that rather interesting for me. I've chosen one piece of improvisation that movement wise forms the theme piece, so that the dance would flow from this capturing the flavours, colours, momentum and even carry a structural essence that draws from this improvisational excerpt.


I'm excited to see how this can be the envelope or the letter, or even letter paper on which the concept and dance ideas are held together, written and read. Meeting with my adviser helped greatly for me to sort through interesting vs generic movement. Even though my paintings were used as a source not all of the output puts my vision, or it may not in it's current raw state. With transformation to different degrees and a greater play in freedom it could become quite valuable and a powerful expression of what I want to communicate. But I did find my inner instinct being a voice of truth and felt the facade of show or spectacle torn down. Of the beautiful movement being one that carried weight in what it speaks rather then the mere beauty of shape, line, gesture, action, sequence of delineated by the dancer's body.


I also found for the piece where the relationship between the dancers was defined more clearly there was a greater intentionality and connection in their improvisation. In some ways for the other piece I had wanted 'a stranger to friend' relationship grow, but I think I forgot to mention this to my dancers! My clarity gives them clarity, so I need to mention more details. Chinese and English run parallely in the studio and I try to ensure my dancers understand well.


It is wonderful to have freedom in how and what you create. My paintings have a very natural free dynamic in them and I want that to remain in purity as the key strain in all of this choreography; a wildness and passion, and the boldness to reflect only what I want to say, nothing else...so this is being true to me and authentic, daring to reveal my art cutting away all the fancy trimmings that will please someone else's vision. It feels like I am taking a stand now that will change the course of how I create art for the rest of my life. So be it!

No comments:

Post a Comment