Sunday, March 4, 2012

~So much more

Research. One of the great things about this extended time to work on dance is I get to do choreographic research. It's something I wanted to include in my thesis and which I tried to figure out with my thesis adviser, Yatin, for a while. I showed her all kinds of possible ways to include what would have been more of an academic study. We finally agreed that it didn't really fit in as relevant to what I was creating in this production. However now with things evolving I get to sit in on rehearsals for a new piece being choreographed by artistic adviser Ming, for the school concert.

It is fascinating and intriguing for me to watch a piece being made, and to watch it's progress over time. I have not had much exposure to professional or company dance life and so this really feels like a rare and valuable opportunity. The focus of the study is analysing methods of coaching the dancers in different aspects so they 'wear the dance well'...speaking metaphorically with the dance being a beautiful dress, well-fitted, becoming, bringing out the right tone, colour and personality. I really enjoy doing research and writing about it gives me great pleasure. My thesis gets to be written over double the time, so I believe this will develop into something of very rich content.

I'm looking at the paintings for this dance project...The 'Butterfly wing' had a creative process that was powerful...I remember making it, hitting the brush several times over with a force I almost did not control...it has beautiful texture...and quite the unusal blend of colours...it definitely carries a powerful sense of freedom, without the defined lines of structure...I wish I could carry that over into dance...I wish I could bring out the power in movement that comes from deep inside and is not dependent on physical energy...my exasperation right now in an 'aaaahhhhh'...still searching for answers. I start rehearsal with a new dancer doing the solo on Wednesday. Shalom to our creative exploits. Wanting more...

No comments:

Post a Comment